When a new cavity needs a filling, the vast majority of our patients now choose tooth-colored composite fillings. Many of our patients also opt for the removal of their amalgam fillings and the replacement of these with composite fillings.
It is now possible to enhance your entire cosmetic appearance by ridding your mouth of unsightly silver fillings and replacing them with tooth-colored composite fillings. This simple procedure is an easy way to make a big difference in your smile.
White fillings, also known as composite fillings, restore decayed teeth and repair tooth defects, as well as provide a healthier treatment option than traditional silver amalgam fillings. Composite white fillings can be used on front or back teeth.
- Tooth-colored composite fillings are also a safer, stronger, more attractive and more enduring alternative to metal.
- There are many reasons to use composite fillings to replace silver fillings:
- amalgam (silver) fillings can corrode and leave unsightly stains
- composite fillings can be matched to the color of the tooth, and thus blend into the surrounding tooth structure
- composite fillings are especially suited for small cavities
- some people are allergic to amalgam fillings
- composite restorations can be adhesively sealed (bonded) into the cavity, often allowing the dentist to make a more conservative repair to the teeth